sábado, 19 de mayo de 2007

"Home" sweet "home"

When I first arrived in Puebla, I spent around 5 days sleeping in a hostel. Its quite tough to share a room with 8 people, when everyone has their own timetable; some arrive at 3 am, and others get up at six.
The colonial hostel was very pretty, but quite noisy..
Luckily the brothers found a little room for me to stay at, for 800 pesos (around 60€) per month :) I live with an old granny, who is quite attention craving at times, but very sweet. My room is really nothing but a room and a bathroom, but since I only sleep there, it suits me fine.

My entrance, closet, "kitchen table", shelf and bedroom.

The view from the door: the bed, another little cupboard and the bathroom.

Which gets us to my favourite subject: the bathroom. I really do miss proper water pressure in Finland. The first time I took a shower, the water barely dripped from the shower. Well, luckily turns out that it was only clogged by sand and chalk. I opened it one morning by poking it with a needle (thanks to the old lady´s advice) and voila! theres more water.

However, there is still the subject that the water is warmed by gas. So if i want to take a shower, i need to go downstairs, open the gas, light the gas heater from a little window in my bathroom, and wait for around 15 mins for it to warm up. I now officially categorize all countries where water is not automatically warm developing countries (Italy and Greece included). And then there is the fact that the old lady saves on electricity, so she shuts down the water pump regularly, so my toilent seldomly flushes.. oh well..

My bathroom, shower combination.

Lovely, right?

In my apartments I haven´t been blessed with views. In Monterrey, I had the wall of the next door building (and a horrible barking dog), here I have this. Unfortunately in the picture you cannot see the canary bird that wakes me up every morning at 6.

Talking about gas, there is also a gas car that drives around in all parts of Puebla, with the same melody, and guys yelling "GAS, QUIEREN GAS?!" starting at 7 am. Needless to say, I dont particularly like it when it passes by the third time in the morning.. All things said, I´m still quite happy with my little room and my peace. Will head off there right now.

p.s. Loppuun hyvan ystavani Miikka Riemun lyhyt kuvaelma Mehikon vedenpaineesta:

"Vesi valuu johdosta vaan ulos ja tippuu lattialle kuin märkä rätti, sellaista oli meksikossa, ja sillä rätillä ihmiset pesi kasvonsa, juoda sitä ei voinut, ennemmin piti vaikka kuihtua pois."

3 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Heip!

Kaiken kuvaamasi jälkeen täällä Pohjoismaissa ja erityisesti Suomessa on hyvät asuinolosuhteet. :)))

Itse koin Lontoossa vuonna 1993 muutaman päivän hotellissa asuessani, että sielläkin sai lämpimän suihkun illalla tietyn, lyhyen aikaa muttta aamulla oli vain kylmä suihku. Piti siis suunnitella suihkuaikataulunsa, jos halusi lämmintä vettä.

Muistui mieleeni kummitätini, joka asui vuosia miehensä kuoleman jälkeen yksin talossaan. Hänkin vuokrasi yhden huoneen eräälle opiskelijanuorukaiselle. Kummitäti joskus jutteli, että kyllä on kiva nuori mies kun tämä joskus hänen kanssaan nauttii iltateetä ja juttelee kaikenlaisia mukavia.

Tässä jo alkaa odottaa innokkaasti lisää kuulumisia sieltä päin.

Keep the flag flying!

Best regards

T

Kata dijo...

Hehei!

Mä oon Pueblassa ollessani ollut tuolla samassa hostlassa yötä. Se oli hurmaava paikka ja halpaa kuin saippua. Myös aamupala oli ihana :)

Puebla on muutenkin kaunis kaupunki.

Disfruta la vida alli chiquita!

Niina dijo...

jeps, asuinolosuhteet on kylla ihan eri tasoa, mutta nakojaan kaikkeen tottuu. lammin suihku on jo luksusta, josta todella osaa nauttia :) nauroin yhtena paivana ku hotellin seinassa oli mainos, vetta 24h paivassa! kuvitelkaapa etta sokos hotel helsinki mainostaisi: lamminta vetta koko paivan!?

kiitos kata terkuista, elamasta nautitaan joka paiva, paiva kerrallaan. kaikki pienet asiatkin kuten blogikommentit piristavat kummasti :)